Wednesday 9 February 2011

Wednesday Extra - I Love Mini Album

With Valentine's Day approaching, I wanted to create something that celebrated my love for my boys (including my hubby).  I don't often give mini albums a go because I can't always set aside enough time to complete the project, and I worry it will remain unfinished.  However, I decided to streamline my process and I thought I'd share my "quick mini album tips" with you today.


Tip #1: Choose an easy size to work with.  My album is essentially 6" x 6", so trimming down papers was simple and fast.  I love the look of albums with different size and shape pages, but those fabulous minis will take some extra time.


Tip #2: Make a kit for yourself to work with.  I chose the Enchanted line by Dear Lizzy from American Crafts as my base, then added boyish touches with the Hambly bicycle paper and the Teresa Colins star transparency.  Having coordinated materials at my finger tips made assembling easy.


Tip #3: Create one page design, then repeat that design with variations for the rest of the pages.  My basic design was a 3.5" x 6" piece of patterned paper and a 2.5" x 6" piece of patterned paper with paper tape and ribbon across the seam.  I varied the design by making it vertical, changing out which pattern went where, and using different colors of tape and ribbon.  I kept my photo placement basically the same, as well as the placement of my embellishments.


Tip #4: Keep the journaling short and sweet.  I used my title, I Love You Boys, as my prompt.  Each sentence refers to a specific photo and completes the thought: "I love you boys... because I do."


All in all, a mini album is a scrapbooking effort that does take more time than a layout or card, but it doesn't have to be an impossible task to complete.  Simplify your process, create with love, and the result will be something meaningful that you treasure for years to come.


Be sure to visit The Studio forum and gallery, where I will be posting more photos of my mini album and answering any questions you may have.  Have a wonderful day, and Happy Valentine's Day!  Tessa

11 comments:

  1. So sweet...I love mini too.
    Congrats!
    Kisses from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one gorgeous mini-book and I love your tips: they're sensible and will seriously streamline production - I too hate half-finished projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the colors! So pretty! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable mini!! Great tips too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous project Tessa. I love how you mixed the girly papers with the Hambly bicycles. It's the perfect balance of materials. Your boys will cherish this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous, Tessa! I too love how you've combined boy with some girlie bits and pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW WOW WOW!! Tessa! This is AMAZING!!! Loveeeeeeeeeee your flowers! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! This is just stunning. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mini-book is beautiful, so clean and fresh with just the right amount of 'cuteness'. Your detailed tips are so well written and so helpful as well. I have just joined, love your site and am looking forward to joining in the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing Tessa, very, very cute dear, I loved it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, don't forget to upload your Sunday challenge layouts to Inlinkz in the sidebar!